Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Stars Are Aligning...

After all the intensive reading and prepping and planning, my review of Call of Cthulhu, 7th edition has gone live, as well as a spinoff feature on running large groups that happened in the process of playing CoC. Altogether, I've spent...what, two weeks?...of straight study on a single RPG. Now, finally, it's over.

And yet I don't want to move on.

In the...holy shit...three years I've been running role-playing games, my favorite games, hands-down, have been Cthulhu games, either CoC or its Apocalypse Engine homage, tremulus. I've run games of Lovecraftian horror with as few as two players and as many as (now) ten. Every time, it's gone extremely well, my players have been happy, and I was happy with how it went. There hasn't been a single game...not Firefly, not Dungeons & Dragons, nothing...that has run as smoothly and as consistently well for me as a Cthulhu game. I think it's now safe to say that Lovecraftian horror is officially and completely My Thing. It is my signature genre. I can dip my toes into fantasy games and science fiction games, but I will always, inevitably, return to Lovecraftian horror. It is the one genre, the one style of game, I can go back to again and again and again, and never get sick of, never say "Time to change it up a little," never switch gears. If I wanted to, I could probably play Call of Cthulhu and/or its predessor games for the rest of my RPGing life.

And something like that may very well happen. With the success of my 7th edition game last Sunday, I look to the future and think about where I'd like to go with this game. And, beckoning like a dream in one of Lovecraft's stories, is Masks of Nyarlathotep. It's been said that, even with weekly sessions, playing this adventure at its fullest could take over a year. It's complex and loaded with details. It's an adventure of a massive undertaking, requiring a dedicated group and an equally-dedicated Keeper. That is the very epitome of a game I don't want to run right now.

And yet, here I am, with the pdf open, and me taking notes. 

I'm definitely not going to start Masks just yet. But I feel like I will start it very, very soon... 
Nyarlathotep. Devourer of investigators.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Own Loser Path

"If you're a Sym main, please exit the stream," was the description yesterday of one of the Overwatch Twitch streams I follow....