Friday, October 31, 2014

The Month of Austerity

These are my following goals for November:

1. Complete NaNoWriMo.
2. Complete my MA Thesis.
3. Complete all homework and reading for my other class.
4. Lose 10-20 pounds, by a combination of strict diet and exercise.

This is all in addition to working my regular job. I will also see my friends every weekend or so, and I have Thanksgiving plans with my family at the end of the month.

If everything goes according to plan, this may be one of the busiest months I've had in a long time. I'm scared. I'm worried I'm setting myself up for failure. I am so sick and fucking tired of being a guy who doesn't do what he says he's going to do. I want to change that. I want to become a man of my word.

I think it's important to challenge yourself, every once and awhile. I haven't challenged myself in a really long time...years, perhaps. Yes, there have been things going on in my marriage. Yes, I'm taking on school and work. Those are hardships. But they're not challenges. I haven't set a preposterous goal for myself and achieved it in a very long time. To quote Bane, "Success has made me weak." It's time to build myself back up, starting this month.

I don't think that's going to change in one month. But I am putting it all on the line, this month. This month, I'm saying "I'm going to get these things done, and I'm not going to even allow myself to think about not getting these things done." The world won't end if I fail to complete my novel...but I'm not going to allow myself to believe that. I want the pressure. I want to believe the world will end. 

So apologies in advance if I'm a little more severe than usual, this month. I do not want success to come at a cost of being an asshole, but I am pragmatic enough to realize these goals will put stress on me. It's just for the month of November. Come December, I'll re-evaluate in light of my success on these goals, and decide how austere that month will be.

Until then? Rabbit rabbit, bitches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Own Loser Path

"If you're a Sym main, please exit the stream," was the description yesterday of one of the Overwatch Twitch streams I follow....