Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Summer of Geekdom

In the three months since my last blog post, I've played tons of D&D, but also Fate, various "Powered by the Apocalypse" games (including my own zombie apocalypse hack), and, just recently, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.

The D&Dsis appears to be changing into a general thesis on roleplaying games. I'm not sure what direction I'm going to take it in for sure, but I know that writing just about D&D, as was my general intention, would not be fair to my hobby. I play a lot more than D&D, these days. I love D&D, but I love a lot of other roleplaying games, too. If I am going to fulfill the intention I laid out in the last post, of writing a thesis based on my hobby, then I need to encompass ALL of that hobby, including every game I play, not just "the one everyone knows."

So this weekend, I'll be playing Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. This is my second session. The first one was fun, but didn't exactly go the way I planned. About halfway into the adventure, I decided I didn't want to play by the rules and I just started freestyling everything. The group was fine with it, but it wasn't what I actually wanted to do. What I wanted to do was give the game a fair try, running a structured adventure and seeing how the rules worked: instead, I was basically just freestyling some Star Wars fan fiction for four hours!

I decided to run a second session in an attempt to actually do what I wanted to do the first time. After thinking about that session, I think what happened is I didn't have my prep down cold. I got frustrated with trying to run the game off the page, so I just started making things up. So this time, I'm going to study the book, study the adventure, and make sure I understand what I'm doing clearly before the game starts. 

There is the possibility, of course, that I just don't like rules, and really just enjoy screwing around with the storytelling parts of an RPG. That may just be the case. I'll find out soon enough, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Own Loser Path

"If you're a Sym main, please exit the stream," was the description yesterday of one of the Overwatch Twitch streams I follow....