Thursday, November 21, 2013

Breaking the Silence

It's been almost two months since my last blog post. I've weathered a government shutdown, a surge of grad school stuff, my aunt's funeral, and several other game-stopping things. But now, I'm looking to get back on track with my blogging and continue to document my travels through the mental corridors of my hobby.

There have been several boardgaming sessions in the past month+ I could talk about. Surprisingly, there has been little to say on the RPG side of things, though. The planning and the logisitics of tabletop role-playing have once again become an issue, as I haven't had the time or the inclination to pay either of those steep costs to get a game going.

The only steep cost I've been willing to pay lately are actual, monetary costs. I went "all in" on Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying(WFRP) a few weeks ago. WFRP is probably the most premium RPG experience money can buy: the $100 core set contains hundreds of cards depicting every ability of every one of the game's 45 different careers. It also contains die-cut standies of the players and the enemies they'll fight; dozens and dozens of different tokens that can be used to track wounds, fatigue, time, or literally anything else you can think of; FOUR different books covering playing, game-mastering, and rules for magic and cleric stuff; custom-made character sheets complete with their own folded box for containing all the cards the comprise their arsenal; and, finally, 36 propietary dice that the game uses. This is NOT a game for the casual RPG gamer; this is a game that you show off to people.

Oh, and did I mention I ALSO got the Player's Vault, the GM's Toolkit, and The Gathering Storm campaign set?

Anyways, I bought all of that like three weeks ago. I've read it and I LOVE it. I am stoked to play it. Sadly, though, only two people have signed up for my event this Sunday. I want at least three to get started. I'm going to a boardgaming event tomorrow (Friday), and I'll see if I can recruit a third for Sunday.

I'll write more later about my various boardgaming endeavors, and more about my RPG future with Warhammer.

As for Numenera? I haven't forgotten about it. But, unfortunately, my inability to focus on any one game has left me adrift again. We'll see how long I can stick to Warhammer before I slink off to another game...

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Own Loser Path

"If you're a Sym main, please exit the stream," was the description yesterday of one of the Overwatch Twitch streams I follow....