Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Hodgepodge

Rather than having a somewhat focused blog entry today, I'm going to write about several smaller topics. Here they are, in no particular order whatsoever:

1. Today was the latest session of my critically-acclaimed Boardgames at Lunch (it is not, in fact, critically acclaimed). We were supposed to try out Space Alert, but I dropped it at the last second because I haven't played it yet, and with only an hour to play, I didn't want all of us to be fumbling through a brand new game, especially one that looks a little tricky, like Space Alert does. Also, only two people showed up anyway, so it would have been weird. We played Dixit instead, which went over pretty well.

2. It may finally be time to start looking at interesting two-player boardgames. If attendence continues to be shoddy at Boardgames at Lunch, I may need to be ready to have a good time with whomever shows up, even if it's just one other dude. I ain't callin' it, though. Never. You hear me, Boring Office Assholes? I AIN'T GIVING UP! I'll sit there and play Pandemic by my goddam self for an hour, if I have to. Someone's bringing a little fun into this place, and it's going to be me. 

3. Planning for this Sunday's Firefly finale is going very smoothly. I've got at least a little something in the works for every character. If nothing else, no one should be able to say "I didn't get to do much" for this session! My biggest obstacle right now is structure. Structure has been a bit of a thorn in my side for the entire duration of the campaign. Part of that is because of this campaign's avant garde structure, but part of it is just my own personal laziness. I really want to finish strong though, so hopefully I can get over myself long enough to look down a nice, solid structure for the finale!

4. My heart aches for Robin Williams. I have a hard time thinking about it, honestly. I, like many others, deal with depression on a pretty routine basis. Not only that, but some of my closest friends and family have it, so I know what living with someone who struggles with it is like, too. It's a sad, tragic thing. And if you happen to disagree? Go ahead and "block" me right now, before I do it to you. I already fucking tore apart someone who suggested the old "suicide is selfish" bullshit. I don't want to hear it. A great man died. That's what matters here.

5. My gaming ADD continues to thrive. Now that the end is in sight for Firefly, my mind is reeling at the possibilities of what to run next. I'm definitely going to take a few months off to plan, prepare, and let my friends run their own games for awhile, but when I come back, I want to come back hard. I've decided I do want to run another campaign, but I want to run something structured around a full adventure or series of adventures, a solid framework to build off of instead of improvising/creating stuff as it happens. My number one pick right now is to return to the Call of Cthulhu classic Masks of Nyarlathotep, but we shall see...


1 comment:

  1. Carc's expansion of The Tower is fantastic for two. Also, Rivals for Catan.

    ReplyDelete

My Own Loser Path

"If you're a Sym main, please exit the stream," was the description yesterday of one of the Overwatch Twitch streams I follow....